Friday, August 8, 2008

The Hidden Waterfall

If you click on the picture to make it larger, you can see Matt sitting at the base of the waterfall!
Matt and I, being as crazy as we are, did a 2.5 mile hike out to a waterfall. Now you may not think that sounds crazy, but when you consider it took us 6 hours to get there, you know there has to be a story behind it.

It is likely we have taken steps in places where no other human probably has. The devil's club and fern were as tall, or in some cases twice as tall as us. We were armed with large loppers and a smaller set of garden clippers. We were also armed with a rifle and bear spray just in case we came across a bear.

We took turns lopping away at the thick undergrowth, devils club, alders, and fern (Matt did a lot more than I did), while the other carried the rifle and called out every so often to let bears know we were in the area. Our path that we created was more apparent by the time we made our way back to our house (it only took 1.5 hours to get back thankfully). It was still rough going as it is obviously not an established trail. I have a new respect for anyone who has ever cleared forest and woodlands to build or settle. I can only imagine how the first settlers managed.

The prize at the end of our trail breaking efforts was an amazing waterfall! We knew it was there because we had seen it from the air when flying over. I must say though, that we had attempted to make our way there one time previously, and did not make it out there that time. Then after flying over it again, we finally got our chance to attempt it again. This time we trudged on until we made it. I did not even take my camera out of my backpack until we got to the waterfall because of the difficulty of our non-trail.

It is amazing what can be so close to civilization and yet so difficult to get to. My guess is that there are many who will never see this waterfall and many in our own community who do not even know it exists. Persistence can really pay off sometimes :-)


Yes, that is avalanche debris that we are standing on.

It has actually created snow bridges across the creek.



2 comments:

Scott and Brooke- European Adeventure said...

Holy cow!! The nature looks just beautiful in these pictures. We especially love close up shot of Matt next to the waterfall because the clarity of the picture is amazing. This really makes me want to come back to Alaska to hike up bird creek again. I am definitely in shape enough to do that now. When you guys come out here, we have so many different hikes planned. Often when I'm hiking I feel like I could be in Alaska.

YTDeGas said...

Ohmygosh, ohmygosh, ohmygosh!!! What an amazing adventure (another one!!) The hike sounds like it was brutal and DANGEROUS -- bear spray or NOT! SHEESH!! "I'm just sayin". You two are the bravest (or craziest) people I know. How cool that you were able to make it this time. (I know how it feels not to - -i.e. jet boating). So I see your reward,the raging waterfall, was more than worth it. Julie, your photography is up to it's usual high quality. I can almost hear the falls. I bet you had to shout to just hear each other talk as the water was so powerfull. I sure hope you packed a good lunch! (with some dip its??? Maybe not.) Now that you've cleared the trail, you'll be able to take others there. Right?? SIGN ME UP!!! Thanks for sharing. It sure makes me want to visit AK again!!! Lv. Y.